What is Makaton?
Makaton is a Language Programme using speech, signs and symbols to help communication. Learning Makaton is not only fun and enjoyable, it is a skill for life which can help break down barriers, and build up confidence in communicating with those that need an extra helping hand to join in.
Makaton is super-flexible and can be adapted to bridge gaps in communication regardless of age. Makaton can help young children, older children and adults who need a helping hand with communication. It can help bridge the gap between one language and another and also help those whose speech or language has been affected by injury, stroke or dementia.
Makaton can help families, friends, carers, educators and services that want to extend a warm communication friendly welcome to all. The best way to learn Makaton is by attending a workshop – and there are many ways this can be done!
Benefits of Makaton
- Using Makaton reduces frustration
- Makaton Signing is a communication tool to help a person communicate.
- Makaton simplifies communication and encourages sociability
- Signs remain the same regardless of the language spoken, this is useful where English is not the first language
- Add value to your business or practice by learning Makaton
Makaton supports language and communication for people:
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Speech disorder/phonological disorder
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Motor neuron disease
- Cerebral palsy
- Down’s Syndrome
- with hearing loss
- who have suffered a stroke
- have a muscle disease
- have dementia or Alzheimer’s
- have learning disabilities
- anyone else who has a communication difficulty!
Thank you so much for a fantastic course. I never in a million years thought I would remember all of the words, but your effective and fun delivery made it happen! Such a wonderful thing to learn – thank you so much, see you for Level 2 soon!
Thank you Saskia! You made the day a lot of fun and it was worth giving up a day off for!
Saskia is a lovely lady and a brilliant tutor! This has got to be the most i have ever enjoyed a course and learntso much!
Excellent pace, friendly and professional. Safe space to learn and practise. Organised. Really cared for participants with well spaced breaks (many on line courses forget this need). Also welcomed questions and participation.
SPEECH & LANGUAGE THERAPIST